I am seeing a lot of our systems having the "vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>" error when cliets try to install VPP apps via Self Service on MacOS (most clients are 10.14.2).
I have tried clearing the failed commands, reconning, re-enrolling etc with no luck.
I am hesitant to revoke all apps as I have seen suggested because I am concerned about the number of people who will experience iTunes notifications about apps not being assigned (the staff at this school are fragile...).
Any advice would be appreciated.
Solved! Go to Solution.
@mjames @whitebeer The issue with storedownloadd crashing during MAS installs is fixed in 10.14.4 Beta 4 (18E205e). This is RADAR 47685116. Let me know if you still see problems after the update. For clarity, typical symptoms of this bug:
- Larger MAS apps like Xcode and Office fail to install and leave behind an .appdownload stub
- Needing to run multiple jamf recon commands to coerce apps to install
- MDMClientError:72 failed command seen in JSS
I've updated https://macadmins.software/mas with the latest info. The largest outstanding issue that I'm still tracking is the inability to update MAS apps through MDM when the user has the app perpetually open.
Hey all, my Apple SE just sent me a note stating the following:
"Good Morning Gabe,
I just received confirmation that a server side change occurred that should resolve the issue. When you get a chance, could you please test to confirm and circle back with the results?"
I'd assume I will need to clear out all the failed commands and try having them check in again with a recon or a manage. I'll let you know if they actually did solve it.
Princeton Public Schools
Apple updated my case. I tried their idea and didn't work as I didn't have the file they asked me to remove.
We deployed a server side fix yesterday, 11-20-2019, that we hope will serve to mitigate this behavior.
There are two parts to the effort to solve the behavior, this server side fix, and potential changes to macOS in the future.
Before you attempt to push/update the apps on the macOS system, I would recommend taking the following actions first.
sudo rm -r /var/root/Library/com.apple.appstore/CommerceRequestCache
Reboot the Mac
Retry updating/installing the macOS app(s)
Yeah still not working 10.15.1 here either. Logged a job with Jamf (as Excel and PowerPoint auto-updated, Remote Desktop, Outlook, Word, OneNote did not).
Did the usual things to get it working again, but we're still relying on workarounds rather than the issue being fixed. Guess we'll find out again in another month!
Just found a solution to this problem (vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>) which I thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same (or similar) setup in their networking.
So I've been trawling through log files looking for hints, taking tcpdumps and tracing network flows, and in the end decided to bypass every bit of our infrastructure piece by piece until I could find what was causing the problem, and it appears to be IBMs Quad Nine (22.214.171.124) DNS Resolver Service (in my case), connecting to our "guest wifi" i thought would solve the problem, but it didn't, upon closer inspection I saw that my DNS had been set to 126.96.36.199, the second i switched it over to 188.8.131.52 (Ciscos' offering) all the apps that I'd been having problems with immediately started to download.
So it appears that in this case something is being blocked upstream by Quad Nine (and perhaps other DNS providers) that is needed for this to work, I don't know what, and as its a "free" service, I don't expect to get any mileage out IBM in trying to investigate.
Hope this helps someone, check your DNS resolvers and check what your network team are doing, whether they are going straight to internet, or via an upstream resolver.
Hey, I just got an email from Apple support.....
It may be fixed.
We have a good news to share with you today about this case. Our Product Engineering updated that this issue should have been addressed by the server side fix deployed today. Being a server side change, macOS 10.15.x is not required in order to pick up the fix. Please test in your environment and verify the result.
So, let's hope this did the trick.
I received notice that they are trying different things in hopes that it will alleviate the issues we are all having.
The first step is to perform a mass pending and failed app command clear.
Then try it again. I have several beta testers out in the live jungle but I have not touched base with them as yet, only been 1 day.
Waiting to hear.
Been speaking to JAMF about it again today. From my discussions the issue is believed to be on Apple's end? JAMF asked me to
RE-trigger the issue then run
This will give you the logs that JAMF need to submit to Apple (providing it is in fact the timeout issue of course) and hopefully we can get this resolved, as it's driving me NUTS!
We were told by Applecare that they think this has been resolved. As of Nov. 26th this morning we run a number of tests and appears to be working "at the moment". If we see it again we will run the debug logging and send to them the results. I have had multiple techs at various school locations test and we can not get it to fail at the moment.
I let Applecare know it wasn't resolved for us after friday, sent them a sysdiagnose and charles log per their followup request---
i was told today that others reported that the issue was not resolved yet. I have not run any extensive testing today, but I'm not going to consider it resolved until i see consistent positive results....