Troubleshooting Computers checking in but not running policies

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Any suggestions for troubleshooting computers that are checking in on a regular basis but not running policies (or collecting inventory?) 

I have looked at the jamf.log and I see a boat load of network change triggers, but no policy triggers. It appears the LD is not loaded either. 

Anyone else have this issue and any suggestion on how to fix? Right now, about 3% of my fleet is having this issue.

9 REPLIES 9

falbrecht
New Contributor III

Did these computers become unmanaged? In my experience computers not running policies are down to not being managed so there are no credentials for them to run the policies with.

BurroHen
New Contributor II

What happens when you run sudo jamf manage or sudo jamf policy in a terminal?  We have a problem with some of our computers as well.  We receive an error when we run one or both of those commands (I don't have a computer that is doing it in front of me to get the actual error).

hunter_gardner
New Contributor II

Seeing this issue as well. Working with Jamf Support we found the issue could be caused by a hanging policy... check for anything in /Library/Application Support/JAMF/tmp

If that tmp folder isn't empty, open one of the log files up to identify the policy that's holding things up. Then try deleting the entire tmp folder and see if policies begin to run like normal. My org is dealing with the same but have not identified the culprit policy just yet.

How are you checking in the tmp folder since it is locked down? I know it is a stupid question but still new to this and a few of my Mac's have this issue

^^^ my question, too-- BUMP

doylema
New Contributor III

From terminal you can

chmod 777 NAMEOFDIRECTORY

You can view the contents by first dragging the tmp folder to your desktop to create a copy. Once created you can then open the folder and view the contents. @ckulesza @tony_schaps 

Nate1
New Contributor III

This thread is almost 2 years old and the most recent reply was over 1 year ago... but I'm running into the same issues:

Machines will check-in but not update inventory nor run policies.

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/tmp was empty

running sudo jamf policy -verbose came back with "An unknown error occured

Sorry to bump this, but if anybody had any resolutions I'd be happy to hear them!

falbrecht
New Contributor III

I had an issue with some M1 and M2 MacBooks that were not updating inventory. Turned out to be a Sentry log collection issue. I would recommend trying to disable that and see if you can update inventory afterwards.

https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/technical-articles/page/Sentry_Crash_Logging_and_Usage_Analytics...