Jamf Pro
Powerful workflows for IT pros
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

Jamf Pro 11.5.0 Beta is Now Available

Hello Jamf Nation!We have several exciting new features including new Login functionality, Managed Software Updates enhancements, Packages page redesign, and more! You can find more information in the release notes when you enroll.Starting with the J...  View more

• 0 replies
  • 5 kudos

10.4 vs 10.5 server for test environment

Hi- I'm going to be setting up a test environment on a second xserve. Basically, another JSS. 2 questions about this: The hardware I have available has 10.4 server on it. Is there that much of a difference, that I should go with the cost of upgrading...  View more

• 10 replies
  • 0 kudos

Self Service network port

Hi- I was looking over this article:http://www.jamfsoftware.com/kb/article.php?id=034 I noticed that it doesn't mention specifically what port Self Service uses to communicate with the JSS. I'm assuming that since it's using HTTP rendering for most o...  View more

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

KVMs

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I figured that this is a group that wouldhave some information and opinions on the subject.I have inherited some aging data centers, and I'm trying to update them. Doyou have a brand/model of rackmount, Xserve friend...  View more

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

Uninstalling jamf from host

We are currently having some issues with host systems (intel running 10.5.6) that are freezing when casper runs inventory or other ongoing policies. Looking at the log we see: Feb 17 17:00:00 mac1064 com.apple.launchd[1](com.jamfsoftware.task.enforce...  View more

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Creating Boot Camp Installer via Casper

I am currently trying to setup a BootCamp install configuration withinCasper, so I can easily deploy Windows in a dual boot config on ourMacs.. I have been reading through the Resource Kit, and it's not looking alltoo bad, however I do have a few que...  View more

• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos

deploying ARD Admin

We have had our fair share of problems with ARD admin. I have written a script that completely removes all components of ARD admin. I also find a nice little app that will copy all your saved files and preferences of ARD admin. So you can set up ARD ...  View more

• 5 replies
  • 0 kudos

Prohibit copying from /Applications

Hi y'all, I've been racking my brain for the past couple days on this one. At my site we issue each student a 4 gig flash drive, and a problem I'm having is that students are copying apps out of the /Application folder (and other folders) and onto th...  View more

• 18 replies
  • 0 kudos

Finding computers managed by a certain account

We have some computers in our JSS that got Recon'ed by a specific LDAPuser who is no longer here. Is there anyway to identify all computersthat are not managed by a certain account? When I search inventory I onlyhave the option to see if the computer...  View more

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Setting default user items

I have a task that appears to be answered by Composer (or it should be) where I need to set the default web browser and home page for the end users at our location. I configure my local admin account as I want it then launch Composer. There is a tab ...  View more

• 12 replies
  • 0 kudos

Timing logins and applicaion startup

Greetings. At my site, we are experiencing a maddening issue wherein 1) sometimes (network/mobile) users are unable to log in (or, they log in but can't access their home folder, or, logging in is really slow), and 2) Office 2008 applications crash. ...  View more

• 11 replies
  • 0 kudos

imaging Macs

Hi All, what I recon Casper could do with is a EFI Pre-Boot Environment Application, then there would be no need to boot from a network or from an external drive, An EFI Casper Imaging Application could allow you to image the mac from the EFI. And as...  View more

• 17 replies
  • 0 kudos

user defaults

If you have a .plist file that is treed-out...multiple levels, what is the syntax for modifying a value on a sub-level? Lets say that it is structured as so: Root- Dictionary 1- Dictionary 2 - Array 1 - Item 1 - Item 2 defaults write somepreffile -di...  View more

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

CasperVNC

Hi All, I'm having problems with Casper VNC, i can observe or control a computer using Casper VNC. however when i close the window and Casper remote says it is Stopping the VNC server on the client, Casper remote halts, it gets the spinning ball and ...  View more

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

local drive imaging

is anyone imaging machines with a local drive?? i've tried syncing a few times to an external fw drive and can't seem to get casper remote to recognize the data correctly. casper admin seems just fine but casper remote sees most of the packages as un...  View more

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

Disaster Recovery

I'm looking into implementing Disaster Recovery and wanted to see how userson this list go about doing this for JSS. Currently have two serversdedicated for JSS use. One is the production server running JSS andrepository for all data/packages. The ot...  View more

• 9 replies
  • 0 kudos

HTTP and the JSS

Hi, I dont use HTTP for my distribution points so in the JSS web i have it turned off for my distribution points, however everytime i load the jss setup utility and login to the server it turns on the http, Does anyone else get this and how do i stop...  View more

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Menubar Items

Hello, I have deployed an image for 11 iMacs but have had a tough time getting rid of menubar items. They are removed when I am booted from an external drive containing the partition I image, but after that image is deployed to all the iMacs I get Ti...  View more

• 14 replies
  • 0 kudos

Stuck print queues

anyone figure out a way to clear local print queues en mass? Having an issue where a lab full of machines will all stop printing when one or more stations sends a bad job. These are local queues managed by WGM. Right now, I am hitting every machine i...  View more

• 6 replies
  • 0 kudos

mass deploying server

I know this has been asked before but I am looking at different methods of installing OS X server at our work. It seems like one of the ways that on paper may work the best is just creating an image of the installer DVD and then using the bless comma...  View more

• 4 replies
  • 0 kudos

Limiting bandwidth consumption from Casper?

Hey guys, I've got an issue where updates pushed from Casper are taking all available bandwidth to a remote site. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? I'd imagine the easiest way to deal with it would be to limit the connection speed from the ser...  View more

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

dummy receipts, maybe a question for miles

Another one, Maybe for Miles, Can you index a dummy receipts, i am guess that because it contains no contents that it cannot be indexed? I have tried to index a dummy receipt, Casper Admin says it has indexed and it then shows up as YES to index and ...  View more

• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos

failed to verify disk

HI chaps Another tester for you. How many of you get disk verified failure on your macs when running the maintenance policy? /usr/sbin/jamf is version 6.01 Executing Policy Maintenance... Updating Prebindings... Fixing Permissions... Fixing ByHost fi...  View more

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

failed policys

Hi Chaps, If a policy fails to execute i can get it to send me an email, however is there anyway of getting it to add the failed computer to a smart group? For example the maintenance script fails on disk verify and id like to create a smart group ba...  View more

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Root Certificate

Hi- I’ve been told by our LDAP admin that in order to get proper authentication with LDAP accounts, I need to install our root certificate into “your application.” I imagine he means Tomcat, which is what the JSS runs on. I found this article:http://...  View more

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

composer 7

Has anyone got a copy of composer 7 yet? Criss Criss MyersSenior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5LIS Business Support TeamLibrary 301University of Central LancashirePreston PR1 2HEEx 505401772 895054  View more

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Installing Printers Via Policy

Has anyone had success using Casper to deploy printers? When I add a printer in Casper Admin I get this error message "There was and error creating the new object in the JSS"followed by -1Inserting Printer: java.sql.SQLException:Unknown column 'conte...  View more

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Deploy Studio

has anyone looked at this? While I don't see anything it does that Casper Doesn't, it does do one really neat thing. I supports PXE booting. So, you can feasibly have PC clients netboot (or PXE boot as they call it) to it and image Windows or Linux t...  View more

• 16 replies
  • 0 kudos

feature request, more in depth documentation

Hi everyone, I have just recently found out that Casper has it's own set of variables when running a script from the casper client. It seems $3 will loop through all your users for you when used. This is not documented very well. I would like to see ...  View more

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

Tracking Peripherals and other assets

I was hoping to find out how others are tracking peripherals and other ITassets that may not be attached to a computer. For example, KVM switches,network switches, fibre switches, printers, etc, all items that have serialnumbers but aren’t necessaril...  View more

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

Thank you

Dear list, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to my request for Casper testimonials a week or so ago, my management was very impressed!As of today I am the proud 'owner' of the Casper suite and look forward to putting it through...  View more

• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors